P90X2 is another great in-home workout program developed by Tony Horton and Beachbody.
Unlike the original P90X the P90X2 has a slightly different focus. If the original P90X was a logical progression from the Power 90 Extreme Home Boot Camp program the P90X2 is completely different program that is aiming and people who looking to improve their athletic performance.
Just like the original P90X it consists of three different phases each approximately one month long and a variety of different workouts. The program also features a completely new and significantly more flexible meal plan also makes use of Shakeology.
There are a few important differences between P90X and P90X2:
- P90X2 workouts are more “functional movement based” as opposed to “exercise based” workouts in P90X
- P90X2 workouts feature completely different warmup routine
- P90X2 workouts require you to use additional equipment such as medicine and stability balls as well as foam rollers
- P90X2 requires you to workout only 5 days a week
- P90X2 version of Ab Ripper needs to be performed only once a week
- P90X2 version of Yoga is only one hour long as opposed to 90 minutes in P90X
- There are no “cardio” workouts in P90X2: each workout is featuring a combination of resistance training and explosive plyometric exercises
- Most of the movements in P90X2 workouts are performed on unstable surface and require a very significant core engagement
- The recovery week is optional and each phase can be extended up to 6 weeks if needed
- P90X2 featured the P.A.P. training methodology that is used in training by professional athletes
- The new meal guide includes vegan and grain free options
Overall, P90X2 is geared towards making you a better athlete and prepare you to perform better in the competitive environment. If your goal is to increase your speed, agility, quickness, balance and coordination then P90X2 will provide superior results compared to P90X. If you are looking for more of a muscle building or general fitness routine then P90X might be a better choice for you.
Getting started with P90X2 is incredibly easy and you can do it in 3 easy steps:
- Create a free account on Team Beachbody web site and select Alexander Garbuz as your coach
- Purchase the program from Team Beachbody (only buying it from Team Beachbody you get free bonus workouts)
- Read the manual (30 minutes) and start changing your body and getting in shape
If you need more information on how to start the P90X program or how to switch your coach if you already have one you can read the following articles:
If you are not sure why you might need a coach (although I prefer the term workout adviser) please read my thoughts on coaching in the article called Training With Me.